Saturday, October 29, 2011

Scary Stories at Pioneer Park

Last night Miss Suzanne (Broadway Gal) told some pretty scary Halloween stories at Mooresville Pioneer Park.  A crowd of candlelit onlookers sat spellbound as Broadway Gal spun her tales of terror.  I wasn't scared, of course, because I am, after all, a black cat.


I was there, but I stayed in the shadows (those candle flames could scorch my fur!), so "Flat" Cauli III and the Lady With the Red Hair sat at the picnic table.



One of Broadway Gal's stories was taken from local folklore. According to legend, if you make a wish at the grave of Samuel Moore, founder of Mooresville, Indiana, at exactly midnight on Halloween night, your wish will come true.  I decided to try it.




I don't think it worked, but that's because I was there at about 7:30 p.m. on Friday, which was October 28.  So I guess I didn't follow the wish-granting rules.  It's just folklore, of course, but it's kind of fun to pretend about such things sometimes.

That was "Flat" Cauli III standing on the tombstone, because I'm too big (about 10 pounds), and I didn't want to seem disrespectful. Samuel Moore liked cats, however, so maybe it was okay that "Flat" Cauli posed for the photos.  We were very careful not to disturb anything in the cemetery.

Drop by my favorite library sometime and visit the Indiana Room. You can learn all about Samuel Moore and the history of the town he founded in 1824.  There are lots of interesting stories to tell about my hometown.  I know a few that you might like to hear sometime.



Your Roving Reporter On The Go,



Cauli Le Chat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.