Thursday, January 19, 2012

"Flat" Cauli, Feline Farmhand



by "Flat" Cauli I
MPL Special Flat Feline Correspondent






Near the end of last November, while Cauli Le Chat was enjoying her Thanksgiving din-dins with her Library minions, I was working hard as a farmhand (or would that be farmpaw?  Just asking) for the Freer family, which attends my Library's Homeschool Group.

The Freer family worked with Broadway Gal and Miss Jaymi during last year's Chicksoon Egg Hatching Program at my Library.  (Cauli calls them chicksoons because the eggs were soon to hatch baby chicks.)  Cauli blogged about the chicks quite a bit last March and April, and you may find those postings by visiting her grown-up blog and scrolling through the post menu (on the right side of the blog) listing each month's articles.  We even had a promo trailer for the chicksoons.  Want to watch it?  You betcha!  Just click the play button in the image below to start the video.


Broadway Gal had a special hatching chicks blog for last year's brood, which you should read.  It's both interesting and informative.

But let's get back to my farmpaw work at the Freer family homestead.  I had never visited a farm with livestock before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  My Freer special correspondents (remember, we don't use first names to protect privacy) introduced me to the chickens, which Cauli would call "winged dinners."  Some of these chickens were the chicks that hatched last year at my Library!  So they're family (sort of), and you don't eat your family!  Anyway, I'm a canned tuna-in-oil sort of flat feline.


I visited the chicken's nesting boxes, which were cozy and comfortable.  You can see that I was just the right size to fit into one. This is where the girl chickens, called hens, laid eggs.  You can imagine how many eggs there would be when hens were roosting in all of the nesting boxes.


Next we visited Darla the Donkey and the goats.  I was expecting Darla to be a huge horsey-like critter, but she was shorter than a horse--just the right height for moi to ride on her back.  I thought for a moment that the goats might take a bite out of moi--goats eat almost anything--but they just wanted to sniff and be friendly.


I was quite excited when we visited the hayloft.  I was introduced to a couple of the six Freer farm felines.  They were having a snack and kindly invited moi to join them.  It was pretty tasty!  Working on a farm builds a big appetite.


Then we climbed the Freer's treehouse.  This was an amazing place, with a swing rope (just like George of the Jungle), ladders that I ran up and down (again and again--it was soooo much fun!), and two platforms from which to survey the surroundings from great heights.  It was way-cool.  I felt like an explorer.  "Dr. Livingstone, I presume."


The Freer family had Thanksgiving dinner, which I truly enjoyed.  When they showed me the turkey's wishbone, I was stunned.  It was huge!  I didn't realize turkeys were such large birds.

It was a special treat to watch my Freer special correspondents play piano and draw.  I love listening to music, and I think drawing is one of the most amazing things.  Both activities--playing a musical instrument or creating artwork--require imagination, talent, and hard work to develop the necessary skills.  But what fascinates moi is that something beautiful is created out of the hands and minds of the musicians or artists.


My Freer Special Correspondent Guy-Dude showed me his Eiffel Tower made of Legos.  We have Lego programs at my Library, so I knew that this would be something spectacular.  When completed, it would simply tower over us flat felines!  This is a great example of art in architecture.  There is something quite satisfying about constructing a grand building or structure.

I had a wonderful time.  Many, many thanks to the Freer family for hosting me over the Thanksgiving holiday.  It was a learning adventure--my favorite kind--and I hope I can visit again to meet the other farm felines, chat more with the chickens, climb the treehouse ladders and swing rope, and enjoy more Darla the Donkey rides around the yard.  If you have never ridden a donkey before, you don't know what you're missing.


Your "Flat" Roving Reporter On The Go,







"Flat" Cauli I

Reporting For
Cauli Le Chat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.