Friday, January 13, 2012

More "Flat" Cauli Homeschool Adventures

by "Flat" Cauli I
MPL Special Flat Feline Correspondent



A few months ago, Cauli Le Chat shared some of my adventures with the families who attend my Library's Homeschool Group.  We started with the Sullivan Family, and now we have reports from our other Homeschool families.  For privacy reasons, I won't reveal the first names of my special correspondents (only family names).

The Phillips family presented a wonderful poetic report of my adventures on their trip to Chicago, Illinois.  It's written in free verse, but I'll put it in "regular" poetry format.

We went to Chicago
And had lots of capers
I saw the museums
And lots of skyscrapers
I went to the aquarium
And then the planetarium
At the Navy Pier
I rode the Ferris Wheel
At Legoland
I was almost a spider's meal
We even got to take the trolley!
Looking forward to more adventures

What a great poem!  It certainly sums up the excitement we had touring Chicago's many fabulous attractions.


The first thing you notice when you get to Chicago is all the amazingly tall skyscrapers.  Willis Tower, which used to be called the Sears Tower, was once the tallest building in the world.


The Phillips family took me to see the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum of Natural History.  At Shedd Aquarium, there were all kinds of undersea plants and animals, many of which I had never seen or even heard of before.  It was both exciting and, sometimes, a little frightening (because some undersea critters have big, sharp teeth), but we were safe on our side of the glass.  Some of the swimming animals looked mighty tasty (I am a feline, after all, and we are great hunters), but visitors are not allowed to eat anything appearing in the exhibits.  There are snack shops where visitors can get a bite to eat.

The Field Museum has amazing displays of prehistoric life from all around the earth.  There were lots of fossils, and some were of huge dinosaurs who lived millions of years ago.  I learned about botany, which is the study of plants, and there were many exhibits featuring the planet's zoology (contemporary biological life forms).  There were also rooms devoted to anthropology, which is the study of human cultures, and geology, which is a science devoted to the study of the earth itself--its composition and development over 4.54 billion years.  It was a truly amazing place.



We also visited Adler Planetarium, which is near Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum on the lake shore (Lake Michigan).  If you like astronomy, there is no better place to learn about stars, galaxies, planets, and other celestial wonders.


The Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier was quite a thrill.  Did you know it is 150 feet high?  You could see a long way when you reached the top, and the wind was blowing (Chicago is called "the Windy City"), but we were safely snug in our seat.


Legoland  was quite exciting to explore.  There were lots of cool rides and attractions featuring, of course, Legos.  But it was kind of scary when I encountered this spider.  Look at how much bigger it is than I am!  Sitting in front of its powerful jaws felt creepy, but then I realized it was a Lego Spider!  They don't eat "flat" felines. Whew! That was close.


The trolley ride was quite relaxing after the spider encounter.  It reminded me of how people traveled around Chicago a century ago. You can hop on and off the trolleys to check out different interesting places all around the city.

I certainly enjoyed visiting Chicago with the Phillips family and thank my friends for taking me along.  I hope you can visit Chicago sometime.  It is a really cool place to have fun adventures.


Your "Flat" Roving Reporter On The Go,







"Flat" Cauli I

Reporting For
Cauli Le Chat 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.